Tuesday, November 13

In memory of Olivia Toubkin.

Dear Blog,


To live in the hearts one left is not to die.
-Thomas Campbell


There are times when life seems to be incomprehensible and mysterious. Now is one of them. You see, dear reader, my very own English teacher passed away silently on the night of Sunday 11th November. Miss Toubkin was a very special teacher to me, and she always will be.
It came to me as a shock. After lunch time on Monday, the whole school and teaching staff were lured into the hall, where our headmistress broke the tragic news to us. Many, many of us gently weeped at this point. Of course, I had only met her earlier this year, yet from the start I knew what a rare, extraordinary sort of woman she was. I'm not even close to feeling what the poor pupils who knew her for years did. I also simply cannot imagine how hollow their stomachs must feel; how heavy-headed they've become; how sorrowful they felt when they experienced that, that day.

Miss Toubkin was also my Creative Writing Club teacher, so, quoting the words of my friend and companion from the club, "We had a special bond with her and knew her in a way no one else in the school did". She was a mentor to us. Evidently, this also meant she was a supporter of my blog. Indeed, it hasn't been standing for long, but she had offered me a place as 'head blogger' for an exciting project about a school blog she wanted to create in the future. Unfortunately, she never had the chance.

She was unlike any teacher I'd ever met. And I'm not talking about only school matters. She suffered from a condition similar to achondroplasia- but this didn't mean that she wasn't tall. She always held her head high. Whenever I passed her in a hallway and shared a quick smile, I would immediately noticed that she would shine above all others standing by. She didn't only teach me grammar. She taught me about self-respect. Few people reach a point in their lives were they feel the same way she did about themselves. And not only did she reach this point one time, but she lived through it every day. At any moment.

She really was truly remarkable. It doesn't take you long to realize this, if you ever met her. I just wish she could have gotten to know me more. Gotten to know how I looked up at her. How she was highly respected by all.

Rest in peace, Olivia Toubkin. Rest in peace.

Until next time,
Daniela
An Aspiring Author - Lit by the Curved Teardrop of the Crescent Moon

6 comments:

  1. SUCH BEAUTIFUL THOUGHTS. I CAN IMAGINE WHAT AN OUTSTANDING PERSON YOUR TEACHER WAS. YOU REALLY TOUCH MY HEART, I COULD NOT STOP CRYING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous: Thank you. Yes, she really was amazing.

      Delete
  2. Daniela

    I knew your teacher well; she would have been touched by what you have written here. The Creative Writing Club was one of the highlights of Miss Toubkin's week and she thoroughly enjoyed working with you all and watching your ideas develop. As she no doubt told you, creative writing was one of her passions, and I am glad that she inspired you. I agree that she was a truly remarkable person.

    You write very well and I have enjoyed looking through your blog. I hope you continue to take as much pleasure in writing as Miss Toubkin did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with me. Truly.
      She was such a wonderful teacher and I'm extremely glad she enjoyed Creative Writing. She definitely inspired me to follow my passion and write many short stories. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity of meeting her. She changed how I look at things in so many wonderful ways.
      I am extremely pleased you enjoyed my blog and I will do my best to follow Miss Toubkin's footsteps when writing.

      Delete
  3. So sad to read about Miiss Toubkin passing away. She must have been a unique person.
    I felt your pain reading your emotional words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was. Thank you for your sympathies.

      Delete